March 31, 2020
Dear partners, stakeholders and students:
As the entire world continues to struggle through the New Coronavirus/Covid 19 pandemic, our study abroad industry is certainly feeling its fair share of pain. It is both very hard and sad as we have to make difficult decisions to help preserve our long-term viability.
I am writing to you today as an update on what is currently happening with our schools. Over the past 2 weeks, as the virus has continued its spread, we have been facing ever tighter travel restrictions and are continuing with the ongoing closure of school premises due to both tightening government regulations and our responsibility to enforce social distancing. Our group of schools (International House Vancouver, Whistler, San Diego and IH Career College) will continue operating within our online learning environment until these conditions change and we are allowed to accept students back to our premises again. As we cannot foresee the exact timing of this, we will update this announcement when the situation changes.
Please note the following:
- We continue to accept registrations for adult and junior programs for summer, fall and winter 2020.
- We will continue to monitor the situation with the virus as well as travel and movement restrictions and make a final decision on the running of our summer young learner programs in the beginning of May.
- We continue with starting dates for students who wish to study online in their current programs.
- IH Career College programs, including Customer Service, Hospitality and Hotel Management, and all TESOL programs, including J-Shine, CELTA and ID TESOL are running online. We have continuing start dates for these programs and the calendars are available on the ihcareercollege.com website.
- Our evening Modern Language program is continuing with online lessons and we are taking registrations for the next session, scheduled to begin April 27.
The transition to our online learning platform, while certainly a huge change, has been going very well and both teachers and students have been enjoying the continuation of the school community, even if it is in very a different format.
While we do not know when the issues caused by the global pandemic will calm down, these will continue to be very challenging times for all of us. First and foremost, we must try to get through it with our health and to do what we can to protect our businesses and our industry. It is our promise to do what we can to work through this with you.
Thank you again for your continuing support